Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chemo #3 Side Effects: Acupuncture Worked For Me!

CHEMO #3 SIDE EFFECTS:


I'm delighted to report that I did not suffer nausea or vomiting during my 3rd chemo treatment after having an acupuncture treatment a couple of days before.  The acupuncturist also placed a pressure point bead-like seed held by a little square of bandaid-type tape on each nausea trigger point on my body.  One inside each wrist, one on my belly, and several inside each ear.  I did have a minor tummy ache & diarrhea for several days - but I would press on my seeds until the event passed without further complications of nausea & vomiting.  I will definitely have another acupuncture treatment before my last chemo scheduled for Dec. 13!!!!!

Another successful chemo side-effect antidote I wish to continue to share is that taking Claritin one day before, the day of, and 5 days after greatly minimized my bone pain, compared to chemo #1.  I only had to take a hydrocodone 2-3 times in order to get to sleep because of annoying little bone pains in my legs & feet.

I have been very tired - but that is an easy to cope with side effect.  I just sit around and try not to let it cramp my style.  I tell myself it is a result of the chemo treatment killing any possible cancer cells lurking around & that it is well worth the side effect.  This is copied from an article on breastcancer.org: 

Fatigue is the most common side effect of breast cancer treatment. Some doctors estimate that 9 out of 10 people experience some fatigue during treatment. Fatigue from treatment can appear suddenly and can be overwhelming. Rest doesn't ease fatigue and it can last for months after treatment ends.

The big thing going on with me is a sudden realization that I should be eating healthy.  I am doing a lot of online research, ordering books from the library, may buy a book or two for future reference, and speaking with friends that are knowledgeable in healthy eating.  I have learned that sugar FEEDS cancer cells - so I am giving up my gross intake of sugar and ESPECIALLY artificial sweeteners.  I feel like a recovering alcoholic in saying that once and for all, I HAVE GIVEN UP POISIONOUS DIET COKE.  Water is my drink of choice since it doesn't need sweetener & I wasn't drinking enough water anyway.  I am also conscious that processed food are not good for you & can be harmful.  So, I am getting off processed foods.  I would love to hear healthy eating suggestions from anyone that reads this blog because I am a sponge taking in all of this.

Now, if someone will come up with how to get rid of the metallic chemo taste in your mouth I would be thrilled! Nothing tastes good or right. So, you only wind up eating for nourishment & not for comfort or pure joy - ha! Good way to lose weight - & I have, which I needed to anyway. Still need to lose some more - but I'm sure my new healthy food diet will take care of that. Giving up sugar and processed foods should make a big difference. Can't wait to be at my optimal weight - finally.
I have an MRI on my knee scheduled for this Thursday.  Rheumatologist suspects a torn meniscus or something.  I'll get the results in about a week.  Then, we'll go from there.  Right now, my knee is not acting up - knock on wood!