Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Chemo 4 & There Shall Be No More!

I made it to Chemo #4 - last one!  Now to just make it through it the side effects the next few days!

My sweet baby daughter, Monica, took me to my 4th and LAST chemo treatment today!  It was a long day, but we had fun visiting.  There is no pain or sicknesss on infusion day - thank goodness!  My appointment wasn't until 11:15 a.m., so the first thing they did was draw blood to see if blood counts were good enough to give me the treatment.  They were!  I was examined by my oncologist, Dr. Barbara Haley. 

Dr. Haley said that in 3-4 weeks from today they radiation oncologist will begin my radiation  treatments - which will be after the holiday.  I will first see her to get the radiation area tattoo marks so they will know where to aim the radiation and to set up treatments.  The treatments will be 5 days a week for 6 1/2 weeks - yikes!  It takes me 40 minutes to get there & the treatment only last 15 minutes.  It is a painless procedure, but the side effects are extreme lethargy.  So, it looks like I will be tired until mid-February.  That's hard for a hyperactive 69 year-old!  I want to be movin' & shakin' & gettin' things done - oh, well!  This, too, shall pass.

Dr. Haley also informed me that the plastic surgeon that will do the DIEP reconstruction will not touch me until 6 months after radiation is over. So it looks like it will be late summer or early fall for that step! We'll talk about that later.

Dr. Haley said that my port that planted in my chest to give me the chemo drugs can come out a couple of weeks after the blood counts are back to normal.  My breast surgeon, Dr. David Euhus, will do that in his office under a local anesthesia.  I will be glad to get the port and its tube that leads to my artery removed!   It is a reminder.

Dr. Haley said that I could be in crowds after 2 weeks passes from today's chemo.  Yippee!  I have sadly missed seeing my grandchildren's talent shows, Christmas dance programs, violin recital, soccer games, &  birthday parties!  I will also be glad to be able to attend church!

After we left UTSW, Monica & I went to Sonny Brian's Barbeque across the street & I got dinner to take home to her family to celebrate the last chemo!  It was a great meal & get-together!
After getting the dinner to go, I sent cutie Monica back in to get a side of beans for Brion! 

I got my acupuncture treatment yesterday, so I am expecting NO nausea, vomiting, & diahrrea this round of chemo!  I got the acupuncture the day before chemo this time, so the effect should be better!  I'm certainly hoping & praying this is the case.
My acupressure trigger point seed placed in both wrists, middle of belly, 7 in each ear, & one under each knee to the outside - all nausea & gastrointestinal trigger points.


I'll keep you posted......when I'm sure of the results this time!  Will not jinx myself & speak too soon!