Monday, September 10, 2012

DIEP Flap Log - Entry #1

June 9, 2012

Consult with Dr. Sumeet Teotia, Plastic Surgeon, UTSWMC



I had my consult with Dr. Teotia today to discuss my DIEP Flap reconstruction surgery. He was highly recommended by my breast surgeon, Dr. David Euhus, and my chemo oncologist, Dr. Barbara Haley.

He said he does about 2 DIEP Flap reconstruction surgeries per week & that he has done about 200.  He said there was a 2-5% chance of failure.  If mine falls in the failure category, he said he would then do reconstruction using back muscle transfer (Latissius dorsi flap) which involves moving a flap of muscle, skin & fat from the back to the chest to for a new chest 'mound'. I'll hope & pray that doesn't have to happen.  But as I told a friend, "There's more than one way to skin a cat!"  YIKES!!!  What did I just say?!

Once the reconstructed breast heals, then Dr. Teotia will do what is necessary to make it match my natural breast in size - possibilities include lipo fat grafting to increase the size of the reconstructed breast or reduction of the natural breast - plus a lift to match the perky new one!  The stage after that is surgery to construct the nipple, then tattooing the areola when that heals.  Exhibitions of his finished art work will be on display for a price!  HA!

After seeing Dr. Teotia, the medical photographer took a set of before pics. Not unlike posing for Playboy - not that I would know!!

Surgery is scheduled for September 18th at Zale Lipshy Hospital in Dallas, Texas.  I am so ready to get this behind me & to feel whole again.  No pain, no gain.....


UT Southwestern Plastic Surgery



teotia
Dr. Sumeet Teotia is an Assistant Professor of plastic surgery with a fellowship in aesthetic surgery specializing in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the nose, face and breasts. He is also a classically trained artist with a passion for cleft lip/palate surgical humanitarian missions around the world.
Areas of Specialty:
  • Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty
  • Facial Cosmetic Surgery
  • Breast Cosmetic Surgery
  • Breast Reconstruction
  • Cleft Lip and Palate