Monday, September 19, 2011

Knee Diagnosis!

On September 13 I had an appointment with Dr. Kehoe, gynocologist, just to have a checkup.  Papsmear came back normal!  I also had an appointment with Dr. Barbara Haley, oncologist.  She will start chemotherapy after she returns from her vacation in Spain (I'm jealous!).  This will allow me to go to my high school 50th reunion without feelin ill, since that event is October 1.  Woohoo!

Dr. Haley was very concerned about my excruciatingly painful knee.  She left the examination room and called Dr. David Minna, a UTSW rheumatologist, and asked him to see me asap.  He told her to write me a prescription for prednisone and he would see me the next day.  Which he did.  I love how the docs at UTSW work together for the good of the patient!

I woke up the next morning and my knee was sooooo much better thanks to the prednisone!  Dr. Haley is my new hero! I saw Dr. Minna that next day.  He diagnosed me with pseudogout.  It is formed with salt crystals rather than uric acid crystals of regular gout.  He has me on a regimine of prednisone, which weans me off of it in one week. 

It is now September 19 and I must say my knee is feeling good.  No more pain!  Just a little tender and I'm still icing it and staying off of it as much as possible.  I go back to see Dr. Minna in a few weeks to evaluate for arthritis - at least in the knee.

I went to meet my new primary care physician at UTSW today - Dr. Blake Barker.  He is my new general internist - and we all know I needed one!!!  I really like him.  Young and full of pep and medical school knowledge!

Thanks for all the prayers and for all the sweet get well cards!  That means so much to me!

In the meantime, I'm working on the program for my 50th high school reunion on September 30 &  October 1.  Good times!  Where have the years gone?  I'm still young at heart!