Saturday, September 10, 2011

Radiologist Consult

I had my radiation consult with Dr. Ann Spangler on September 8.  Radiation will be given 5 days a week for 6 1/2 weeks.  This will start 4 to 6 six weeks after chemotherapy.  It will be a grind to drive from Arlington to UTSW over 30 times, but Dr. Spangler said I would be able to drive myself so I don't have to impose on friends and family. 

Each radiation treatment only takes 15 minutes and there is no discomfort.  Side effects are minimal, just perhaps redness, tenderness, skin discoloration, muscle soreness, and tiredness.

My appointment with the oncologist is September 13.  I'm still hobbling around on my painful, swollen knee.  I've learned that a knee sprain takes a long, long time to heal and feel better.  I am forced to bear weight on it since I cannot use crutches due to the stitches from the mastectomy - 'cause, folks, you have to go to the bathroom, kitchen, and upstairs (!) bedroom.  I'm whining about my knee because I'm sick of it.  Patience is being tested and stretched to the max.