Monday, July 25, 2011

Monstrous Monday!

I have had much anxiety and sleeplessness since my diagnosis with breast cancer.  Right now I am "interviewing" breast surgeons to find the right fit for a medical team.  All I have as a regular doctor is my internist.  Well, he has failed me.  When I first got the diagnosis I called his office and told them I did, in fact, have breast cancer and was seeking treatment, but that in the meantime could he do anything to settle my nerves and help me sleep.  He called me in a prescription for 20 Xanax - you take one every 8 hours.  I called his office Friday after the biopsy results came in and asked if he would refill the Xanax, which was all taken, and if there was anything he could prescribe as a sleep aid rather than me taking Tylenol PM by the handful.  I got no answer last Friday.  I called today and repeated the same request.  Dr. Internist just had the receptionist call and tell me he will not prescribe any more Xanax or anything for anxiety or any sleeping aid until he sees me!  He saw me last week, felt my mass which he said was "just" dense tissue, sent me for sonogram and diagnostic mammogram, sent me to breast surgeon, found out I have breast cancer and still insists on me coming into the office to examine me before he will call anything in?  How insensitive and unnecessary is that?!  I asked the receptionist that called me back, "WHAT DOES HE WANT ME TO DO?  COME IN AND SEE ME CRYING AND SHAKING AND THROWING UP?  HE JUST SAW ME LAST WEEK!  DOES HE WANT TO FEEL THE MASS IN MY BREAST AGAIN TO MAKE SURE IT IS STILL THERE?" She calmly says, can you come in tomorrow at 4:30 PM?  I said yes, out of desperation, but.........