Thursday, August 4, 2011

Be(ing) Strong!

Things are falling into place and I feel so fortunate to have my God, my family, and my friends giving me so much support and peace on this breast cancer journey - a trip I never wanted to take - but who does, right?

Ordered a new cute platinum swingy bob wig yesterday from Maggie's over by the Dallas Arboretum.  Thanks friend, Janet, for taking me over there!  Had fun with you at lunch, too, and "vase shopping" afterwards.  *wink*

I'm looking forward to seeing "Crazy Stupid Love" at the movies today!  I could so use a chick flick!  I'm also now reading "Water for Elephants".  "Secret Life of Bees" is next on my list.  I have a stack of books awaiting me - some I need to read first before their library due date!  I also have ordered the recommended books of choice on breast cancer from Amazon.com - some of them looking at the experience from a more comical side.  I'm learning not to read too many scary things online about BC.  You know they call a person that thinks they have every disease is called a hypochondriac, well, I've learned a person who over-googles their actual health issues is called a "googlechondriac" - ha!

I MUST share yesterday's "Streams in the Desert" devotional with you:

Be men of courage; be strong (1 Corinthians 16:130

Never pray for an easier life - pray to be a stronger person!  Never pray for tasks equal to your power - pray for power equal to your tasks.  Then doing your work will be no miracle - you will be the miracle. - Phillips Brooks

We must remember that Christ will not lead us to greatness through an easy or self-indulgent life.  An easy life does not lift us up but only takes us down.  Heaven is always above us, and we must continually be looking toward it.

Some people always avoid things that are costly, or things that require self-denial, self-restraint, and self-sacrifice.  Yet it is hard work and difficulties that ultimately lead us to greatness, for greatness is not found by walking the moss-covered path laid out for us through the meadow. It is found by being sent to carve out our own path with our own hands.

Be Strong!
We are not here to play, to dream, to drift,
We have hard work to do, and loads to lift.
Shun not the struggle; face it.
It's God's gift.

Be Strong!
Say not the days are evil - Who's to blame?
Or fold your hands, as in defeat - O shame!
Stand up, speak out, and bravely,
In God's name.

Be Strong!
It matters not how deep entrenched the wrong,
How hard the battle goes, the day how long,
Faint not, fight on!
     Tomorrow comes the song.
- Maltbie D. Babcock